Tuesday 13 July 2010

Day 23. Rapid City to Wall

Having somehow survived yesterday, I was looking forward to today which promised much reduced climbing. Loading was not till 8am so I had a lie in till 7!
We negotiated our way out of Rapid City not too rapidly then took an old highway which ran alongside the Interstate.  As I went up and down, up and down for about 30 miles, I gazed longingly at the Interstate which had gradual ascents and descents which would have been a lot better for me personally.  Anyway, enough of my moans.  At the first sag, I won a prize!!!
You should have seen the size of the other bikers!!!!
The roads were covered in grasshoppers which appeared to be cannibalistic as the live ones were eating the ones that had been squashed by cars (and bike wheels!)




As I got closer to the town of Wall, I began to see how it had adapted to survive in this tough world but wondered what the police were doing about it and why we were staying in such a place!


I had heard of Red Lebanese and a few others but this one was a mystery?

I am not surprised it is wild if they are all on drugs!

By this time I had decided to experience whatever the high was going to be.
I got to the hotel, got showered and changed and went off into Wall in search of their drug.
Imagine my disappointment when I found it was a drug store (or chemist) which was like a little bit of Benidorm, cowboy style!  The vagaries of the English language!
 

Today's Stats
Mileage - 57.3
Climbing - 1550 feet (seemed like more)
Time in saddle - 4 hrs 58 mins
Average speed 11.6 mph

1 comment:

  1. Memo to Ian.
    Must remove helmet hair on next rest day.
    More comfort and less sweat assured.
    AP

    ReplyDelete