Tuesday 22 June 2010

St Helens to Welches.

First of all, many thanks for the messages of support, they are very much appreciated. Today was a bit more like it. When we did the route rap last night it was suggested that the slower cyclists set off a bit earlier as the last 33 miles was all climbing.


Actually, it didn't turn out to be as severe as it looks. They said they would have the van ready for loading at 5.45 am so, having taken the broad hint, Peden was second in line, early to trough and out on the road by 6.10am with bare arms unlike most of the others who had jackets and arm/leg warmers. In fact although it was in the low 50's F, by the time I arrived it was in the high 70's.  Only 4 people got past me by SAG stop 1 and at the second at the 40 mile mark, I was in about 6th having averaged 14mph. It had been a good and interesting run.  We cycled over, then along by the Columbia river, where a good number of people have permanent homes on the water.


We passed Portland Airport where the staff there remembered me and put out a sign to welcome me as I was passing.  How thoughtful!!!


We carried on and I discovered that some towns we passed through were less interesting than others!!!!

As we began to climb towards Mount Hood, we began to get a taster of what to expect over the next couple of days and it isn't going to be flat, that is for sure.  In case you didn't guess, this is Mt Hood which is 11,240 feet high.  I am rather glad that we are going around it!!



If you look closely, you will see that I am wearing a badge with my name on in case I forget who I am. 
I finally arrived in Welches with less than half the group in front of me so I was well chuffed that so many hadn't managed to catch me up.  Our hotel, called The Resort at the Mountain, is very very nice indeed and definitely 4 * standard.  We are eating out at a local Chinese restaurant tonight so I am looking forward to that and an early night.
Today's stats.
Distance covered - 76 miles
Climbing - 3250 feet
Time in saddle - 6hrs 20 mins
Average speed  - 12 mph (Official category for the benefit of Mr Rhind is - No Bad)

1 comment:

  1. You seem to be getting used to this way of life. Are you enjoying the countryside, or do you see just the tarmac in front of you?
    Good luck for the next few days of steep slopes..
    Stewart

    ReplyDelete