Thursday 5 August 2010

Day 46. Liverpool to Little Falls

This morning we were told that there was 30% chance of rain.  There were no Scousers about early in the morning to pinch my bike but within about 10 minutes of leaving the hotel,  I discovered that the weather forecast in this area was as accurate as the UK and there was in fact 100% chance of rain, heavy rain at that!  It then persisted down for about 2 hours and 30 mins, at one point being so heavy that several of us took shelter under a large tree. Fortunately, the precipitation let up and off we went again.  Due to the damp, I had a shower cap over my cycle helmet , a shower cap covering my camera and a small ziplock bag over my cycle computer.  Unfortunately, I forgot to put my travelling dollars into anything waterproof but that is another story!  Fortunately, nobody else had their camera out to take a photograph of me as I must have looked a right t**. Nothing new there!
Eventually things got drier and I began to get concerned that the weather conditions might get worse after seeing a vehicle with a snow plough on one driveway and this on another!(For any USA citizens reading this, it is plough, not plow, OK?).
I can't begin to imagine how severe weather conditions must be in winter to need a Ski-doo to get about!
As we got closer to our destination, there were opportunities to engage in some directorial practice!

Live models eh? Unfortunately, I was going downhill at the time so there was no chance of me stopping!!!
I began to think that I had gone too far when I saw this sign from a distance but then remembered that there was a bit of an ocean to cross and the spelling was a tad inaccurate!

I was still going downhill when I saw this emporium.

Self Serve eh?
I was feeling a bit peckish as I passed here but really couldn't decide between the Hamburg and the Mexicans. I really don't think I could manage a whole one!


Just how does one choose??????
Today's Stats.
Mileage - 78.2
Climbing - 1610 feet
Time in Saddle - 6 hrs 1 min
Average Speed - 13 mph

1 comment:

  1. I remember Little Falls on the CCC, It's a lie - Lots Falls is a better name. We got pwt as well. The only good things about that day is that the rain is warm (ish) and there's a very good launderette just across the road from the hotel. New England is well named. It's just a shame that the weather goes Eastern Atlantic for the last four or five days. Keep smiling, Ian. Just think of the single malts you can have on the plane.
    Andy

    ReplyDelete