Thursday 23 June 2011

Ian's Not Cycling Across America Blog - Day 3

I didn't think I was going to get out at all today due to heavy rain. My friendly mechanic came to my house and tweaked the rear mech of my new used bike then centred the rear wheel
My new used bike is a very light LeMond Buenos Aires carbon fibre machine with a mix of DuraAce, Ultegra and 105 components. I have changed the racing crankset to a compact and the rear cassette from 12-25 to 12-27. I also had to change the wheels which had 24/20 spokes before they exploded to ones with 32 spokes.  I must say that despite the weight on top of the bike, the fact that it is about 10lbs lighter than my steel framed bike really does make a difference. I got out at 6.40pm last night and did 28 miles at an average speed of 14.1 mph where before I would have averaged about 12mph. On that basis I would have done Prineville to John Day in nearly 2 hours less. On the other hand, that would have meant 2 hours longer in the worst hotel in NorthWest America.
Here is the bike.

Todays Mileage
AAN Welches to KahNeeTa - 65 miles
Ian's Mileage - 28 miles (-4.5 to make up)

No comments:

Post a Comment